Used material has a story to tell. Take it up and spin it further. Grossklaus_Upcycling


Samstag, 12. November 2016

The mattress and the footstool

 Although I do like the one-way nets as a raw material, once in a while I need to do something else to reset. Triggered by the upholstering we had done of mypartner’s kitchen chairs (him being the woodworker, me the sewing lady), I felt like upholstering some more for the fun of it. I had kept an old mattress in the basement for just such a purpose (Ours is not one of those dusty, moldy cellars, so the mattress did not smell). There were tree branches left in the garden shed and fabric I have galore. Trouble was, I did not actually need new furniture. But, I figured, I could use a footstool. Actually, I would have liked bright colors on it, but I could not come up with a proper design. The sisal sack eventually brought it all together fitting the pallet table we had worked earlier. It received a print made with a stamp recycled from one of India’s textile factories. The corners were sewn with leather donated by a dancingcompanion.


 

My lesson learned – after breaking down with my footstool in a very unladylike manner - was to observe the growing direction of wood when building anything which is supposed to hold some weight. Fortunately, I had an expert on my side, who, shortly after, felt in need of a footstool for himself. So, I did get my chance to make one with bright colors in the end.



Oh, I wanted one with this fabric, too!