Used material has a story to tell. Take it up and spin it further. Grossklaus_Upcycling


Mittwoch, 9. November 2016

Naked wreaths, apples and potato sacks



When I was a child, my grandmother used to earn a few Pfennig (Pennies/Cents) by removing decoration and greenery from the wreaths people had taken from the gravesides of their loved ones and thrown away. She would carry them to the garden shop for re-use. I was allowed to help every now and then and I remember vividly the red hands from the rusty wires and the prickly fir-tree green. It was not a pleasant job. If my memory does not fail me, I received 5 Pfennig per piece.
Forty years later, my mother still un-wraps old wreaths, but she also redecorates them herself for the family’s gravesides. Each year for the Sunday of Commemoration of the Dead she sends a package across Germany with a wreath to be placed on my second grandmother’s grave. 
And each year my aunt returns a package containing the used wreath base. It arrived when I visited recently and contained, in addition, tasty apples from my aunt’s garden. All content was protected by padding made by the one-way nets of produce she had collected for me for some time.
Yes, I agree, looking at the whole procedure from the outside, it has its funny aspects. But hey, it is not junk, we move across the country, but crafter’s raw material…