Used material has a story to tell. Take it up and spin it further. Grossklaus_Upcycling


Samstag, 27. August 2016

Special topics in calamity physics



Being an avid reader there are few books which keep my attention (about every fifth even after pre-scrutinization of the cover information at the local library). Marisha Pessl (Penguin Books, 2006) did it big style. Not only did she keep me shackled to hundreds of pages, small print, spiked with quotations (science-style referencing complete with page numbers) of the life of a teenager (an unusual one, I give you that, but still – I am from the dinosaur generation), she also placed a constant (inward) grin on my face (I have not entirely figured out how that works). She managed to have me fully content reading on about the routine day of a high-schooler (quite an achievement, if you know, what I mean) so that I found it completely superfluous when the story suddenly (after 2 cm paper worth of introduction) became a crime novel (unthinkable, since most what I read in my off-time are thrillers (sorry, cannot stomach Virginia big W. and Rilke after a full day at work)), and was almost angry, when on top of everything political issues were brought in. However, Marisha managed the perfect ending which left me sort of flabbergasted (although I did not appreciate the final finish of the end – well, one cannot have it all). This is a book I can relate to (like I can to the “Big Bang Theory” (the soap; and the theory, come to think of it, but this is not relevant here)) and would wish to study for its craftsmanship (if I were not so eager for the next new book on the library shelf). There are a number of Pessl-quotations I am happy to go along with and which I should have written down for further use like (I will mess it up now having the memory of a sieve): “I have been raised a sceptic not believing in anything until the evidence lines up like presents under a Christmas tree.” Or so.

Oh, and yes, here is more on potato net couture.